Monday, October 1, 2012

Taco Tuesday on Monday....

This month I'm participating in VeganMoFo (vegan month of food)...it's my first time being a part of this blogging event. I'm pretty excited to bring you 20 posts this month on vegan food!

Today was all about the tacos, tacos for breakfast and tacos for dinner. I'm loco for tacos....

First, the breakfast tacos. Breakfast tacos are one of my most favorite low-cal, protein filled, easy to prepare breakfasts.  Tofu scramble, corn tortillas and avocado.  I use a SIMPLE tofu scramble for these, extra firm tofu and pico de gallo.  Crumble the tofu and saute until it's slightly crispy, seasoned with salt/pepper & turmeric.  Add the pico de gallo and cook until heated through and well blended. Fill each tortilla with about 1/4 tofu scramble, top with avocado and a little splash of Tapatio and you're good to go. Delicious!

Second, the dinner time tacos.  I don't fry my taco shells, I bake them in the oven. They get nice and crispy but aren't greasy and oily.  I also like to fill my tacos with some unconventional items...such as shredded carrot and dill pickles.  It's kind of an old family tradition...I've done it since I was a kid, I can't stop and I really don't want to.  For the taco filling I use Smart Ground Original, baked in the corn tortillas for about 10 minutes at 400 degrees.  Then they get fixed up with shredded romaine lettuce, diced tomatoes, green onion, shredded carrot and diced dill pickle. Top it off with Tapatio or Cholula and I am a very happy girl!  I promise with all the flavors that you've just added you won't miss the cheese at all!  What do you dress your tacos up with?

No comments: