Monday, October 8, 2012

A Very Vegan Weekend...

The first weekend of vegan mofo was great! I celebrated by going to 2 of my FAVORITE vegan restaurants here in San Diego, purchased some delightful produce at the Little Italy farmers market on Saturday, and ended the weekend with a veggie stir fry and The Amazing Race.

Here are the links to the 2 restaurants I went to...I like them both equally, but for completely different reasons.  Sipz has awesome vegan Asian fusion food (Sushi after 5 PM every night!), while Veg-N-Out is all about veggie burgers, hot dogs, and good old American food.  Sipz has two locations, one in Clairemont and  another in North Park.  Veg-N-Out has only the North Park location.  I highly recommend both locations for lunch or dinner!!    http://www.vegnout.com/  http://www.sipz.com/

I got the "Loaded Dog" from Veg-N-Out.  A veggie dog smothered with homemade chili, Daiya cheese, tomatoes, onions, dill pickle relish, mustard, ketchup and Veganaise.  Served with REAL potato wedges, made from REAL potatoes and nothing else.  It was delicious and as hard as I tried, I was not able to finish my lunch!








This weekend also included a trip to the Little Italy farmers market, as mentioned above.  It is one of my favorite farmers markets in San Diego, it's set in the heart of Little Italy which means great architecture and vintage buildings surround it.  They have over 150 vendors and most of them offer samples...I love samples! I got some great deals and hopefully the produce I purchased will make an appearance or two in this weeks meals!



I was able to get some BEAUTIFUL produce from one of the many stands.  I got some sweet potatoes, eggplant, green beans and some Mexican squash.  Now I need to figure out what I want to make with these lovelies!










Finally, the most exciting purchase of the day has to be these....


I really don't eat a whole lot of apples during the year, that is until it's HONEYCRISP season.  I adore these apples. They are amazing.  Pretty sure they are the best apples on the planet.  So I will make sure I eat my fill while the season is here! If you haven't tried one, I suggest you do soon!  They are great in pies, crisps, cobblers, jams, and with peanut butter.  They are great all by themselves too! Eat as many as you can!







Well, that was my weekend...it was pretty great! P.S....I love the Amazing Race, I really like the Heavy Metal Rockers and the Chippendale Dancers.  What team are you cheering for?

No comments: