Thursday, October 18, 2012

Mumbo Gumbo...

First...what the heck is okra? Second...why is it slimy?  Now that that is out of the way, let me say that I made my very first batch of Gumbo this week.  I used the okra from my CSA box.  It was good, and after you cook the slimy okra innards they aren't slimy anymore....but when you chop them up they are SLIMY!! So gross!

Here's my recipe for Mardi Gras Gumbo, it's quick and easy and tasty...three things I look for in a recipe!

Mardi Gras Gumbo...

1 TBSP 
olive oil


3 TBSP flour

1 onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
1 carrot, sliced into coins
1 celery, diced
1 zucchini, diced
3 cloves garlic
6 cups broth
1 15oz can diced tomatoes
2 cups okra, sliced into coins
1 tsp oregano
salt & pepper to taste
hot sauce to taste

2 Tofurky kielbasa links, sliced into coins




What to do...make a roux with the flour and olive oil, add onion and saute until softened.  Add broth and all other ingredients (except Tofurky). Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer.  The roux and the okra will thicken this soup up, just let it simmer until vegetables are softened.  Meanwhile in a skillet, brown the Tofurky until it's slightly crispy.  Add browned Tofurky to soup pot and let cook about 10 more minutes.  Serve over bowls or white or brown rice, with an additional splash of hot sauce.






















I will be making this again, it was really good and super healthy.  It makes about 6 servings at about 185 calories a serving (without rice).  It was spicy and filling!

No comments: